Monday, April 12, 2010

Overwhelmed

If I were going to choose a single word to define the past few weeks, since I learned I was pregnant, it would be “overwhelmed.” When I first found out the news, I was overwhelmed with a whole gamut of emotions ranging from excitement to fear to thankfulness to doubt that it was even real. (I’m getting past that one, now that my belly is getting bigger by the hour!)

In the weeks since, I have been overwhelmed with exhaustion, trying to just get through day-to-day life at about half my normal energy level. Rarely does a day pass when I don’t need a nap, and even then, I find it hard to muster up the energy to do the things I normally do.

Now that the word is out, Don and I have both been overwhelmed with the love, the joy, the excitement that those around us have shown. When he announced our news in church on Easter Sunday, the entire congregation responded with applause and cheers, followed by hugs and lots and lots words of happiness and encouragement. This has been echoed by the many others who have found out our news since then. It is so heartwarming to both of us to have people be so very supportive and joyful for us.

I’m sure I will have plenty more overwhelmingness in the days ahead: long nights with little sleep after the baby is born, the responsibilities of being a parent, and other things I can’t yet imagine. I am trying not to get overwhelmed with worry about my health and the baby’s, what kind of world this child will grow up in, how we will manage financially, etc. God is in control. He loves us and gave us this child for a reason, and I know He will take care of us all. I am so thankful for that and so thankful that He works all things together for the good of those who love Him.

And I am overwhelmingly thankful for all of you, who have shared in our joy and been supportive to us during this precious time in our lives.

3 comments:

Smelling Coffee said...

Hey Jill~ When I was organizing my blog the other day and pulling out the posts that chronicle our present walks, I came across one that made me immediately think of you and Don and the well-planned and perfectly-timmed baby the Lord has given you.

Here it is, in case you need a little encouragement today... I'm praying for you and thanking God for His perfect work in your lives... (And from experience, I'll tell you... TAKE A NAP when ever you can!) :-)

http://smellingcoffeetoday.blogspot.com/2009/12/behind-scenes-of-silence.html

Jen

Smelling Coffee said...

Oops - that link doesn't look right. Try this one:

http://bit.ly/cenvc0

Jen

Pam said...

Well... parenting is a joyful thing.. but overwhelming too. So it's a feeling that stays around a while. : )