Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Ideas

It's going to have to be inexpensive gifts for the people on my Christmas list this year, but it's always been my belief that you could make up for not spending too much money on a gift by adding a little extra time and thought to it.

Here are a couple of things I am doing this year.

I made these Christmas potpourri jars with a few of the hundreds of baby food jars I seem to have around the house, but any jar would do. Just fill with potpourri, and then cut a circle of tulle (or any thin fabric), attach it with a rubber band and put a bow around it. Makes for a nice-smelling gift and costs very little.
Another thing I am making for a few people is Caramel Chex Mix. I got this recipe from Simple Girl but have made a few modifications to it:

13 cups rice Chex cereal (13-oz. box)
1-1/2 c. packed brown sugar
3/4 c. butter
1/3 c. light corn syrup
1/3 tsp. baking soda (I know that's an odd measurement; you just have to estimate)
1-1/2 c. plain M&M's (I used Christmas ones for this project)

Heat oven to 250 degrees. Spray a large roasting pan with cooking spray.

Pour the cereal into a bowl.

In a 3-quart saucepan, stir together brown sugar, butter and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture heats to boiling. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in baking soda. Pour over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.

Bake 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, until coating is set. Cool 5 minutes. Stir in M&M's. Spread on parchment or waxed paper to cool, at least 10 minutes. Store in an airtight container (I use a Ziploc bag).

Yum!

No comments: