Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Jury Duty

Today was my second day of jury duty. Besides my obvious complaint of having to miss work and the pay that goes with it, I'm realizing that this whole experience is WAY out of my comfort zone for a number of reasons:

1) Having to drive downtown in rush hour traffic and park in a parking garage.

2) Being stuck in a building all day, especially when the weather is nice outside.

3) Being away from home and my dogs for long stretches of time (my dogs were locked up for 11 hours today).

4) Being made to socialize with people I don't know and have little in common with.

But it's really not so bad. The trial itself has been kind of interesting (I'm not allowed to share any details), and I am getting more comfortable around some of the other jurors. None of them know each other either, so we're all on equal turf. Once I found my way there and knew where to park, I was less fearful about that too.

I'll probably survive. I might even become a more well-rounded person because of it all. I guess sometimes God has to get us out of our comfort zone a little bit to help us grow.

1 comment:

Pam said...

I've always gotten out of it, but now my girl is older and I don't have an excuse. I dread being called on for it. I have the same fears. The down town/the parking garage/people I don't know or care to know. And then the details of whatever it is I'm listening to. ugh. Hubs went for one a long time ago and when he could finally tell me about it. Oh. My. Word!