Friday, April 8, 2011

Thankfulness

I wished a friend from my Bible study a happy birthday today. But I think that, rather than being happy, she is somewhat depressed because it is a "big one." (40, I assume) Well, that one has come and gone for me, but it made me realize that I really don't lament my birthdays anymore, not even the big ones. Since my friend Pam died of cancer at age 38, leaving behind 5 children, I know firsthand that none of us really knows how much time we have left. Every year, every day, every breath we take is a gift, not to be taken for granted. Now I am thankful for every birthday I have: another year to live, and now another year to raise my child and watch him grow.

So I encourage you, as I encouraged my friend today, not to dread your birthdays or even be depressed by them, but to use them as an opportunity to thank God for another year of life.

No comments: