Thursday, February 12, 2009

Daffodils!

Yesterday was an important day. February 11? Yes! It was important because I spotted the first daffodils of the season! They were a bit earlier than usual, but we have had a week of beautiful weather, so these first brave ones apparently found the courage to poke their pretty yellow heads out of the ground. (They are in someone's yard, so I didn't want to traipse through their yard to get a better picture.)
Seeing daffodils is always exciting for me, because it is the first sign of spring. After months (well okay, weeks, here in Nashville) of winter, I am always ready for it.

One of the first things I did when Don and I bought our house was plant daffodils in the yard. As you can see, mine aren't as far along as the others, but at least they have sprouted. Hopefully I'll have some in a couple of weeks.
One thing I learned last year that I have been doing wrong is mowing them down before the green part dies (I had just waited until the flowers died). Apparently the bulbs need this extra time to rejuvenate for the next year. Hopefully they'll be forgiving and bloom again anyway, and I'll make a point to do it right this year.

Anyway, I just wanted to encourage all of you who feel the way that I do about winter that the daffodils have sprung, and spring is on its way!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Yay Spring! We are enjoying it over here. Hannah spotted some flower buds by our mailbox today!

Angie said...

I too love daffodils...I call them buttercups! We have a few in our back yard and it is one of the highlights of my Spring to watch them bloom. I try to always get a picture of the kids by them each year (imagine that :-))...

Pam said...

I'm not a winter girl either.. so like you, I'm always looking for signs of spring and warmer weather!