Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Reaping the Harvest

My garden has been keeping me busy lately! I've gotten tons of cucumbers and have made my favorite: bread and butter pickles.

I've got some more cukes ready too so am trying to decide whether to make some more of those or maybe some dills.

I have been plagued by pests. Something is eating my cabbage, probably a rabbit or a squirrel.


I've picked what I could salvage and made some freezer slaw.

I've discovered if I don't pick my tomatoes until they're completely ready, birds begin helping themselves to them.

So I pick them when they're almost ripe and put them in my windowsill to ripen. I'm planning to make some tomato sauce today.

Some kind of beetle is eating my broccoli. I've been spraying it, which I don't like to do, but I really have no choice. Hopefully that will take care of it.

We had a storm Sunday night that knocked down some of my cornstalks. I staked them up like tomatoes yesterday morning. We have several ears of corn that are almost ready, so I'm hoping that will at least keep them going until those ears ripen.

I'm excited that, in spite of some setbacks, I'm getting my freezer and cupboard stocked with goodies. We'll be eating well for a while!

1 comment:

Pam said...

That is so great! I love it!

Well not the bug and beetle part. :)