Monday, July 20, 2009

Spaghetti Factory

Don and I had a date on Saturday night and had dinner at the Spaghetti Factory downtown.

If I were to describe this restaurant in one word, it would be atmosphere. It is in a renovated old building on Second Avenue full of Victorian furniture and beautifully-carved woodwork. There is an antique streetcar right in the middle of the restaurant. If you are lucky enough, you may get seated at a table in it. My first memory of eating there was on my 16th birthday, in 1982, a couple of years after they first opened. My family had arranged it with the waiters and waitresses there to bring me a birthday cake and sing “Happy Birthday” to me. I was totally surprised (not to mention a little embarrassed).

Fast forward to 2009. Despite it being 6:00 on a Saturday evening, we didn’t have to wait for a table at all. It was fairly busy, but the place is big.

The food is good too. The prices are reasonable, around $10 for most entrees, which includes a salad or soup, bread, entrée, drink (coffee, tea or milk) and a little bowl of spumoni ice cream. The portions aren’t huge but are adequate. My favorite entrée is the mizithra cheese spaghetti. It is sort of like pasta with butter and shredded Parmesan cheese on it, but better. They have more traditional sauce choices as well, and you can get a split plate with two different ones on your spaghetti if you can’t decide. They also have a few non-spaghetti choices. Don got grilled chicken with pasta on the side. You can get $1.50 off the price if you choose to skip the drink and ice cream, which we did. Of course, you have to figure in your parking when you count the cost of eating there. Most nearby parking spots are in the $10 and up price range, though if you don’t mind walking a few blocks, you can park for $5.

All in all, I would say this was a good dinner, and I would recommend it for a romantic date, a whole family outing, or just a friendly get-together.

No comments: