Thursday, November 26, 2009

Harvest Blessings

It's a beautiful Thanksgiving morning, a bit chilly, but the sun is shining brightly. Don and I took a walk with the dogs, and then I went out to my garden to see what was happening. Obviously, it is winding down for the year, but we haven't had a hard frost yet, so there's still a little bit going on.

Sugar snap peas are a cooler weather plant, so I planted those in late summer, and we're starting to get a few. As you can see, there are a lot of blooms, so I guess it's a race against the clock to see just how many we'll get before it gets too cold.
Apparently when I pulled up the potatoes, I left a couple, which grew into new plants. If all goes well, we'll have a few more pretty soon.The celery didn't do too well (I don't think our climate is quite right for it), but I got a few skinny little pieces for our Thanksgiving veggie tray. Our bunny Heidi has been feasting on the leaves. I found these green beans this morning, obviously not enough for a meal, and they probably wouldn't be too tender anyway, but they will make good seeds for next year's garden.I figured out why sage is a popular herb at Thanksgiving: it's one of the few that's still alive and kickin' (as we say in the south). Of course, there's parsley too, another hardy herb.I am thankful today, for the goods our garden has brought us for many months, for my home, for my family that will come to feast with us on this beautiful day, and for all the many ways God has blessed me this year.

No comments: