Saturday, November 7, 2009

Vitamin D3

I learned an interesting thing recently: if you take Vitamin D3, it is (arguably) at least as good a protection from getting the flu as the vaccine is. It is the vitamin that we get from the sunshine, and it strengthens our immune system, which is why people rarely get sick in the summer. It's not found in many foods, though milk is often fortified with it, and it is in some kinds of fish.

It is available in capsule form. I haven't started taking it yet but have tried to make sure I get outside for at least for a little while every day when the sun is shining. There's nothing quite like the real thing, so, as the old song goes: "Step into the sunshine. Get out of the shade . . . " and forget the vaccine. Maybe I'll get on that soapbox another day.

1 comment:

Pam said...

Hmmm interesting! I'll have to look into this!