Friday, February 12, 2010

RIP Heidi

Our bunny died in the night last night. It wasn't a huge surprise. She had been acting sickly for a month or so, and last night she took an obvious turn for the worse. Don and I loved on her and prayed over her, that if it was her time to go, that she would die peacefully, so it was kind of a relief that she didn't linger on.

Do animals go to heaven? I like to believe that all of the pets I have loved in my lifetime will be at the gate to greet me when I get there, but the Bible isn't really clear on the issue. Heidi had some sort of little spirit that was her life, her personality, that inhabited her body only yesterday but has now left it. Where did it go?

Animals aren't made in the image of God as people are, and they obviously don't have the capacity to understand their sin and accept Jesus, but Isaiah 65:17-25 does refer to them being there in the new heaven and new earth.

It's one of those things I will probably never know for sure in this life, so I just have to let God handle it.

I am sad, though certainly not as sad as I would be if I lost one of my dogs. A bunny just doesn't have the bond with humans that dogs do. Nonetheless, she was a part of our lives for 3 1/2 years, and we will miss her.

No comments: