Friday, December 19, 2008

Favorite Christmas Songs

One thing that I really do enjoy about the Christmas season is the music. I would have to say my all-time favorite Christmas song is probably O Holy Night. Not that I can sing it, but I like to listen to it. I also like Joy to the World, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, and Silent Night, as well as the more contemporary, Mary, Did You Know?

On the secular side, Amy Grant’s Tennessee Christmas, Trans-Siberian Orchestra’s Christmas Canon, and We Need a Little Christmas all float my boat.

As for instrumentals, I enjoy the Ukrainian Carol of the Bells.

There are many others. I think part of the joy of Christmas music is that it is only heard for a month or so each year. I don’t like to hear it before Thanksgiving or after New Year’s, but in the midst of the season, the music that goes along with it brings me joy. What are your favorites?

2 comments:

Melissa said...

There are so many! I guess I will list my favorite Christmas albums that we always listen to. Growing up it was the Carpenters...still love all of those and since we've been married a must is Celine Deon's album. (I heard someone say on the Fish the other day, "I wonder if the angels will sound like that?" That made me smile to imagine it.) I also love any of the Amy Grant ones. My new favorite of course is Faith Hill's song "A Baby Changes Everything". Andy's very, very favorite for the past two years is "How Many Kings" by the group Downhere.

Angie said...

I'm with Andy--"How many Kings" gives me goose bumps each time I hear it (which is a lot because I ALWAYS have Christmas music on in one place or another from Thanksgiving until Christmas)!
I love Bing Crosby's White Christmas, , O Come Emmanuel (Amy Grant). I grew up with the songs of Salsoul Orchestra at Christmas-album called "Christmas Jollies". Probably haven't heard of them. It's not the "traditional" sounds of Christmas for most, but my Dad is a drummer and has always been very into music and there is NO other songs that bring me back to my childhood in a flash than those songs. I also love The Carpenters like Melissa. There are MANY more, but this is a start!
Merry Christmas Jill.