Friday, September 18, 2009

Gardening Update #5

I haven't done a gardening blog in a while. I guess the excitement of it all wears off after things slow down, but our garden has given us plenty of fresh produce to eat all summer and provided us with good things for the winter as well.

I have been busy canning (pickles, jelly, apple butter, peaches (the apples and peaches aren't from my garden)),

freezing (tomato sauce, green beans, bell peppers, black-eyed peas, strawberries, applesauce, cole slaw, pesto),

and drying (herbs).
Of course, these things don't taste quite as good this way as they do fresh, but they're a whole lot better than store-bought, and free too, except for a few extra ingredients needed to can or freeze.

I did a second planting of green beans, lettuce, and spinach, so we are still getting those. I also planted broccoli again, one of the few things which didn't do well the first time and hasn't come up yet the second time either. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong on that. I planted some sugar snap peas about 3 weeks ago which are starting to come up. They're a cooler weather vegetable, so hopefully we'll have some of those soon.

I am so thankful for the bountiful season God has given us and look forward to enjoying it throughout the year.

1 comment:

Pam said...

Wow! I'm always impressed with gardening since I can't grow a thing! Love your freezer.. you can etc good, home grown things throughout the winter. It will taste better and be better for you. You go, girl! : )