Thursday, September 24, 2009

God's Blessing at the Pole

I didn't make it to See You at the Pole yesterday, but I heard a couple of really cool stories about it that warmed my heart and reminded me that God is still here in our country, hearing our prayers and blessing us. See You at the Pole is an annual event where schoolchildren around the country gather around their school's flagpole to pray.

Lakeview Elementary School has been a spiritual battleground in recent years, beginning when a group of parents who regularly gathered in the cafeteria to pray for the school was sued by the ACLU. In the end the judge ruled mostly in their favor, giving Christians the same rights as any other group that may meet there. Just before last year's SYATP, they were again forced to fight for their rights when the principal made the children cover up the words "God" and "pray" on the posters they had made to promote the event. Another lawsuit was filed, and just a few days ago, the judge ruled that the principal had erred and the children could make posters using these words.

I have several friends who were involved in all this, and yesterday morning, one of them (Stacey) told me what had happened as they gathered to pray at the flag pole:


I also heard of a school in North Carolina who had their SYATP gathering later in the day yesterday. They were crowned with a rainbow as well.

God is good!

1 comment:

Smelling Coffee said...

Yes - God is so good! Thanks for your continued support of SYATP and Lakeview. I love the fact that the Lord gave a rainbow.

Miss seeing you!
Jen