Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Playing by God's Rules

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” I Peter 5:7

My dogs both love a good game of fetch. There’s just one problem. My dog Nash doesn’t know how to play. At least by my standards, he doesn’t. I throw the ball. He runs after it excitedly, grabs it and runs back to me. Sounds pretty good, huh? The problem is, it ends there. He will not give the ball back to me. He dodges me when I try to grab it, snarls at me (in a friendly way, of course) and tries to get me to chase him, but I won't; that's not how you play the game. So I just find something else to do until he finally gives up and drops it at my feet.

He was doing that today, and I was reminded of how I play games with God this way. I won’t give him the ball. He is waiting for me to so we can get on with things, but I simply won’t let go of it. Of course, He could tackle me and pry the ball out of my mouth, but He doesn’t. He lovingly waits for me to lay it at His feet. And then we can carry on. I know how frustrating it must be for Him sometimes when I dodge Him and snarl at Him, but He waits. Much more patiently than I wait for Nash.

Why do we do it? Why do we hold on to things, when we know that if we turn them over to God, He will take care of them for us? His plan is far greater than ours, but He is waiting for us to surrender to it. If you, like me, are holding on to any “balls” that God wants you to give to Him, I encourage you to lay them at His feet so He can get on with the wonderful plan He has for your life.

No comments: