Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Living at Peace

If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.” Romans 12:18

My mom and I were discussing what we should do if someone wrongs us and doesn’t know it. Have they sinned? Is it our responsibility to deal with it?

I have learned through experience that when someone wrongs me and doesn’t apologize, whether or not they realize they have done it, I have three options:

1) I can hold a grudge. This is a natural tendency for me, but I have found that it doesn’t do me OR the person who wronged me any good. In fact, it leads to bitterness and puts a rift not only in my relationship with that person, but also in my walk with God.

2) I can get over it. I can opt just to forget about it. If it was just something that someone didn’t mean to do, I have to acknowledge that they, like me, are an imperfect human. Sometimes I need to be forgiven, and sometimes I need to forgive.

3) I can confront that person. If someone has done something that I just can’t get over, or maybe they are doing something repeatedly and it isn’t getting any better, it may be time for a confrontation. If they’re not aware of what they’re doing, that may be all it takes to make them stop or apologize. Or sometimes with communication comes a clearer understanding of why the person did what they did, making it easier to forgive them. But I always recommend doing this humbly and gently, with full knowledge that the tables may be turned at some point, and I may become the person who needs to be confronted.

As far as I am concerned, #1 is not an option for me anymore. It is a sin. I always try for #2, but if I simply can't get over it and find myself reverting back to #1, then I go for #3. God desires for us to live at peace with one another, so it is important that we do what we can to restore the broken relationships in our lives.

No comments: