Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Lesser of the Two Evils

I'm a little psycho about using poisonous products: cleaning chemicals, bug killers, weed killers, etc. Anything that says something like "Caution: harmful or fatal if swallowed" can't be very good to breathe in, touch, etc. By the same token, I don't like putting flea treatment on my dogs. Anything that's designed to kill fleas can't be too good for dogs either, in my way of thinking. Even the external stuff soaks into their skin, working its way through their bodies, but it also gets on my hands when I pat them, and I put my hands in my mouth, etc.

Fortunately, for some reason, we haven't had much of a problem with fleas. Our dogs are mostly indoor dogs, though I do take them out several times a day, but they've never had enough fleas that I've bothered to use anything for it in recent years. Nash got tapeworms twice in the past year, though, which can be caused by fleas. The last time he did, the vet talked me into buying a dose of Frontline for each of them. It was $17 a pop, but I didn't use it because I didn't see any fleas on them.

Until recently, that is. I cut their hair last week, so I can see more skin, and Dasha has flea residue all over her. Occasionally I see one crawling on her. Nash's hair is much thicker and darker, so I haven't seen any on him, but he is scratching a lot. So, with strong encouragement from Don, I put the Frontline on both of them this morning. I am watching them carefully to make sure they don't have any adverse reaction to it. So far they haven't, thankfully.

Am I a nutcase? Doesn't it make sense that poisons are harmful to us and to our pets? Look at how the cancer rate is skyrocketing, and the medical community acts like they're clueless about what's causing it. I think there are a lot of things we use that are considered "safe," but we have no clue what their long-term effects may be. We don't put 2 and 2 together.

Anyway. I'm just sayin'. I'll use these products if I have to, if I think their benefits outweigh their potential harmful effects, but I will continue to try to avoid them as much as possible.

1 comment:

Pam said...

I'm with you! I hate chemically stuff. I started using Greenworks for some things. I like the window cleaner. It works. I use their all purpose cleaner, but have bleach spray and 409 as backups. I also like the bathroom cleaner for the tub. It doesn't disinfect, so I keep that in mind. But it works well for the times in between the deep cleaning.

But yes keeping your pet bug free is important esp since those bugs can sometimes carry diseases too.