Monday, October 12, 2009

Skipping Sunday School

They should have been in Sunday School. But selfishly, I wanted their company, so I didn’t bother to mention it. One was home on leave from military school. The other we had had some conflict with in the past, and I occasionally need reassurance that it has been completely mended.

Don and I were assigned to nursery duty yesterday at church. We had two baby girls to care for, easy enough, but for some reason, two high school boys, both seniors, decided to come join us there. The hour flew by as we all just hung out and chatted. Don and I worked with the youth a few years ago, so I still have an attachment to the kids.

They told us about their girlfriends, their future plans and their experiences at school and work. They played with the babies and helped us keep them entertained. I saw that they were growing into men, men who are responsible and who have a heart for God. And it brought me joy.

If anyone gets after us for not sending them to Sunday School, I’ll take the blame. Some things can be more important than Sunday School.

No comments: