Saturday, October 17, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are

Don and I celebrated my birthday today. We were hoping to go to the firing range or maybe to play putt-putt, but alas, the day was cold and dreary, so we decided to go to a movie. There were none we particularly wanted to see, so we chose “Where the Wild Things Are,” just because we thought it would be clean and wholesome.

Well, it was pretty clean, but that was about all either of us could say about it. It was loosely based on the children’s book by Maurice Sendak, but I realize now that it isn’t really a book that was ever meant to be a movie. The movie had a cast of depressed characters, who never really resolved their issues. Don used the words “existential” and “godless” to describe it. I wouldn’t consider it very suitable for children, but not exactly exciting for adults either.

Oh well. We had a fun date anyway, but if you’re thinking of going to see that movie, I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it.

2 comments:

Pam said...

I wondered about this movie when I heard it was coming out... our movie reviewer guy for the local news didn't really recommend it for kids. Strange since it's made after a kid's book,huh?! lol

Smelling Coffee said...

I'm glad to know this. My kids are at the stage where they are too "old" to want to see the movie, or too "young" to see it "just because". But I wondered about it. I was disappointed in Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs - which was a much better book than movie. I guess they should just leave some children's books alone! :-)