Monday, December 14, 2009

The Ornament Party

Our pastor's wife holds an annual "ornament exchange" for the ladies of all ages from our church. We each bring an ornament and exchange them white-elephant style, except that, unlike the usual white elephant party, everybody gets to go home with something nice!

I got this pretty little ball. It has a Christmas tree inside and lights up with changing colors. It got stolen from me once, but I was able to reclaim it later when another ornament got stolen from me too.
My sister-in-law Melissa wasn't able to come, so I brought my three nieces (it's a milestone that they're old enough that I'm not afraid to try to bring all three of them!). My niece Grace won the second place prize for "most stolen from." She was a pretty good sport while 5 or 6 ornaments got taken away from her throughout the evening, and she played right along, stealing from others, including me!
Here's Hannah. She seemed pretty happy with the snowman ornament she ended up with.My niece Abbie shed a few silent tears at the end because hers didn't get stolen. I consoled her, reminding her that her mom and dad would love her ornament, and she got over it quickly.
Afterward, all 3 girls sang "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" in the back seat of the car all the way home! It wouldn't have been so bad, except they only knew one verse, so they sang it over and over. I'm pretty sure I'd be fine if I never heard that song again.

All in all, it was a fun evening -- fun to spend time with the ladies of my church and with my nieces, to laugh and eat and see all the pretty ornaments people had brought. It has become an event I look forward to every year.

2 comments:

Mel said...

They had so much fun, thank you for taking them. I hope that I get to go next year! See ya soon

Pam said...

Sounds like you had such a fun night! And look at it this way...you'll remember them singing to you for years to come. It will be one of those 'remember when...' things. The ordinary is really the most special. : )