Thursday, December 17, 2009

Pancake Pantry

My dad, Don and I had breakfast this morning at Pancake Pantry. This is a Nashville landmark, of sorts. It has been here longer than I have (since 1961), but oddly, this was the first time I had ever eaten there.

Located on 21st Avenue in Hillsboro Village, near the Vanderbilt Campus, finding a place to park is no small task. (We actually walked from the retirement home where my dad is now living.) Unless you're lucky, you will probably get to stand in line outside for some length of time (there is no indoor waiting except for a small lobby area), so dress for the weather. It is open from 6:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on weekdays and 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on weekends.

The food is good, typical pancake house fare. I had the "Pigs in a Blanket" (pancake-wrapped link sausage). Don had the Wild Blueberry Pancakes, and my dad had Potato Pancakes. They are served with warm maple syrup. We all had our fill, and then some, in my case. The usual sides of bacon, sausage, eggs and other breakfast foods are offered, as well as coffee, juice, milk, soft drinks, etc. They also have a selection of soups, salads and sandwiches. The prices are moderate. Most of the pancake plates are $7.50.

This restaurant has been owned by the same family since its inception. Many of the staff have also worked there since the earliest days. The restaurant is small, but has a cozy atmosphere. I would recommend it if you have some time on your hands and plenty of room in your stomach.

2 comments:

Mel said...

We went there a few years ago. Maybe with your Dad?? Can't remember all the details, but I know they had cute little pancakes decorated like teddy bears for the kiddos. Fun!

Pam said...

YUM... I love little places like that. Glad you had a nice time with your hubs and your dad! : )