Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Prayer for Haiti

Well, I haven't blogged in nearly a week now, and I had a silly little one in mind to do this morning, but then I got on Facebook and went to a page about the Haiti search and rescue efforts. Apparently the rescuers in Haiti are posting updates, and those whose family and friends are still missing there are posting pictures and other details about their loved ones, just in case they are found. Others are just praying for and trying to encourage both of these groups of people.

I heard on the news a couple of days ago that the rescue efforts had stopped, but on Facebook I heard that yesterday some rescue dogs identified the same spot twice, bringing hope that there might still be someone alive in there.

So all that is to say that I didn't feel right posting a silly blog after reading these things. To think about this country, already devastated by poverty, having to go through such a traumatic thing, makes me want to fall to my knees and cry out to God to help them.

I don't know why God allowed this to happen. If it was for the sake of punishment, why hasn't such a thing happened here? Are we any better, really, in God's eyes?

I encourage you to pray for Haiti: for the rescuers, for those missing loved ones, and that God will use all this for the ultimate good of this economically and spiritually impoverished country. And pray for our country as well, that God will have mercy on us and not allow something so tragic to happen here. I'll be praying too.

2 comments:

Mel said...

my heart aches for haiti and the people lost, searching for the lost, and those survived but injured. i have some of the same questions you do and just like 9/11, God is revealing himself through tragedy and there are little glimpses of hope and love in tiny doses. i know my prayers have been opened wider than ever before and maybe that is true for others too.

Pam said...

It is very hard to think about silly (selfish) things like dreary, cloudy weather when we see the images and hear the stories from Haiti.