Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Community Bible Study

"… we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done." Psalm 78:4

I will soon be beginning my second year of Community Bible Study. This is a wonderful, interdenominational, in-depth study for people at all levels of Bible knowledge, which has meetings all over the world. There is homework to do, small groups for discussion of the material, and a lecture. By the time you have finished all this, you know the material well. If you’re looking to increase your Bible knowledge, grow in your faith and make new friends to fellowship with, this is a great way to do it.

Our class is fairly new and small. We have a program for preschool children, but up until now, we have not had a program for older, homeschooled children as some of the groups do. For the second half of last year, I led a core group (an adult discussion group), but for this year I believe God is leading me to lead a class for first through third grade homeschooled children. My sister-in-law has volunteered to come and bring my nieces to be my first two students. Hopefully this will open up the door for other moms to come who have children in this age group as well. We will be studying Genesis, following along with what the adults are studying.

I am excited but a little scared. I have a teaching degree and have taught Sunday School and other children’s groups in the past but haven’t felt any desire to do anything like this for many years. I can’t think of any more worthwhile ministry, though. I see my nieces and nephew hiding the word of God in their hearts and realize that I still remember the songs, verses and stories I was taught as a child. I am hoping that I can be a part of laying a foundation for a life of faith in them as well as other children God may send my way.

I would appreciate your prayers for me, as the writer of Hebrews prayed: "May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen." Hebrews 13:20-21

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I mailed all our information yesterday, we are all VERY excited!! Hugs.

Smelling Coffee said...

Jill~ We are all VERY excited about the call the Lord has given you to teach the 1st - 3rd graders in CBS! (And, we're so excited that Mel and her crew are coming too!) I've been working on CBS things all day today, and the more I get into it, the more I can't wait to get back with everyone and study Genesis. I'm so proud of you and of your obedience to the Lord!

PS: I'll try to remember not to ever call you on your cell phone! ;-)