Friday, July 18, 2008

Fall Creek Falls

Recently Don and I and the dogs took a trip to Fall Creek Falls State Park in Pikeville, Tennessee. It was a perfect June day. The visit brought back a rush of happy childhood memories for me because my family visited there several times when I was growing up, including staying in a cabin on the lake for a week.

Don and I only went for the day. We took a picnic lunch and did a few hikes, and we all had a great time. The walk down to the base of the falls is not long but quite a workout. The dogs enjoyed wading in the water at the bottom to get cooled off.

We walked across a swinging extension bridge which crossed a huge gorge. Nash, who isn't afraid of anything, was scared to death. Dasha, who is usually hesitant about everything, waltzed right across. On the way back she was doing fine too until we got about 2/3 the way across, when she suddenly put on her brakes and refused to move another inch. My guess is that she looked down. Anyway, I ended up carrying her the rest of the way across.

There is a one-way drive that runs alongside another gorge where the scenery is breathtaking. If you look closely at the picture, you can see Don admiring the view. I was too chicken for this one. It was a rocky walk down a steep hill that ended with a huge dropoff, and no railing. Not for the faint of heart. He said the scenery was even more amazing from that vantage point. I'll have to take his word for it.

I highly recommend this trip as a low-budget day trip. It's only about 2 hours from Nashville, and it's a great opportunity to exercise, breathe fresh air and enjoy the beauty of God's creation.

No comments: