Saturday, July 26, 2008

Summer Treats

Question: What do a crenshaw and Santa Claus have in common?

Answer: They are both melons.

One of the best parts about summer for me is all the fresh produce that becomes available. One of my favorite treats is corn bought from the back of a truck at Farmer’s Market. I also love fresh peaches, blueberries, strawberries (especially from my own garden), cherries, green beans, black-eyed peas . . . The list goes on.

For many years I ate very few fresh fruits or vegetables, but when I was losing my weight, I began to try them again, and discovered some I didn’t even know existed. Unfortunately, there are still a number of vegetables I don’t care for, but I have found that there are many I do enjoy, as well as most fruits. Right now is the best time to enjoy them, while they are fresh, delicious and inexpensive. If you buy them at Farmer’s Market or a produce stand, many have been picked within the last day or so and have a whole different flavor than what you may be used to.

Here are some of our favorite recipes using fresh vegetables:

Grilled Asparagus

(I never thought I liked asparagus until I tried this. I usually just throw it together, so measurements are approximate.)

1 bunch asparagus
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. kosher salt
¼ tsp. freshly-ground black pepper

Break off tough ends of asparagus and put in casserole dish; pour in olive oil. Mix together until asparagus is covered. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix again. Put on grill and cook until slightly blackened, turning occasionally.

Green Beans with Crushed Walnuts

1¼ lbs. green beans, trimmed
2 tsp. butter
2 Tbsp. finely crushed walnuts
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg

Place beans in a large saucepan of boiling water; cook 5 minutes; drain. Heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add walnuts; sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add beans, salt and nutmeg; cook for 1 minute.

Pickled Cucumber Salad (from Weight Watchers Magazine)

2 large cucumbers, sliced paper-thin
1 Tbsp. plus ½ tsp. salt
½ cup white vinegar
1 Tbsp. sugar
¼ tsp. white (or black) pepper
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill, or ½ tsp. dried

Layer cucumbers in a colander, sprinkling each layer with salt (1 Tbsp. total). Place colander in the sink and top the cucumbers with a plate, then weight with a few soup cans. Let the cucumbers drain 1 hour, then rinse well and pat dry with paper towels.

Whisk together the vinegar, sugar, remaining ½ tsp. salt and pepper in medium bowl. Add cucumbers and toss to coat. Scatter the dill sprigs over. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours.

No comments: