Monday, April 13, 2009

Egg Hunt and Pizza

It has become a tradition in our family to have an egg hunt after church on Easter, with pizza for lunch.

When Don and I were dating, I wanted him to have lunch with us on Easter. He had to go to work later that afternoon, so we decided to just get pizza to save time. We discovered it was just as fun to get together and have pizza as it was to have a fancy meal, and a lot less stressful. The next Easter, after we got married, Don volunteered to make homemade pizza. I made plans to have an egg hunt for my nieces and nephew, later deciding to let the adults hunt too, and the tradition began.

I put the kids’ eggs in low places and the adults’ eggs in high places. This requires quite a bit of creativity. I just missed getting a picture of my 69-year-old mom standing on the bed grabbing one off the top of one of the blades of our ceiling fan. I try to make rules, such as "no unruly behavior," which my brother obviously disregarded when he nearly knocked my poor sister-in-law off the bed trying to beat her to a Reese’s egg on top of a picture frame. I think the adults may enjoy the hunt more than the kids do, though the kids follow the rules better.

Besides my family, I also invited a few friends from church – 13 people in all, which was a lot to fit in my kitchen for lunch, but everyone seemed to have a good time!

Hopefully this is a tradition that will continue for many years to come, though I may change it up a little as the kids get older. Seeing how much fun the adults have, I don’t anticipate the kids will ever outgrow it!




2 comments:

Pam said...

Looks like you had quite a fun day... kids and grown ups too! I love it when adults can have as much fun as the kids! : )

Smelling Coffee said...

How fun! What a great idea - lots more fun and lots less stress! I like that. ;-)