Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A New Favorite Author

I've recently discovered Alfred Leland Crabb. He was an author who wrote three novels set in Nashville between the Civil War and the late 1800's. The books were written in the 1940's, but in my opinion, they are easy to read and get caught up into.

His characters include some real historical figures: James K. Polk's wife, Nathan Bedford Forrest, Andrew Johnson and others, and some who are just everyday people.

I just finished Supper at the Maxwell House, and am now reading Breakfast at the Hermitage. He has another one called Dinner at Belmont. I've gotten my dad into reading them too.

If you live in Nashville (or even if you don't) and are interested in history, these are books you may enjoy. I think they are out of print, but the Metro library has them, or you can probably find used copies on Amazon or E-bay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mom loved those books. She even took a class taught by Dr. Crabb many years ago. Laurie