Saturday, April 4, 2009

Don's Disgust

My husband Don came up the steps with his Iowa license plate in his hand last night. He had removed it from the front of his car. He had an Iowa sticker on his car that he removed too.

I never thought I would see the day come, but he is deeply ashamed right now to call Iowa home. He said he won’t put the license plate back on until the people of Iowa vote on an amendment to ban gay marriage.


Apparently a gay rights group from New York lobbied in Iowa to reverse the ban on gay marriage, and they succeeded in persuading the Iowa Supreme Court to do so. Don says it’s unconstitutional for judges to make that decision; he thinks the people should vote on it. Most states that have voted on this issue, even California, have voted to ban gay marriage.

I agree with him. I have already expressed my views on gay marriage in this blog, but I will add that marriage is God’s institution that He created (Genesis 2:24). Who are we to commit an act that God considers detestable (Leviticus 18:22) and call it "marriage"?

This is not the fault of the people of Iowa, but the government. Iowa is the third state to make gay marriage legal. I hope the opposition will be strong enough to reverse this decision, or at least to bring the vote to the people, where it will most likely be banned.

2 comments:

The Mad Ape said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jill said...

To Mad Ape:

I have removed your comment, not because it mocks me, but because it mocks God. This blog was created to glorify God, and your comment was offensive in that regard.