Friday, April 3, 2009

Tornado!

I was getting ready to leave for a Weight Watchers group I was working yesterday afternoon when my mom called. She works at the airport (which is between my house and my Weight Watchers group) and said they had all been evacuated to the basement because a tornado had touched down in the area. She begged me not to leave my house.
-
I wasn't sure what to do. I'm not one to just not show up for work. So I took the dogs down into the basement and tried to turn on the TV. If you read this blog, you may remember that this is no small task. At any rate, I could not get anything but static on the TV. Then I called my co-worker from Weight Watchers, and she turned on her TV, which showed that indeed there was a tornado, and they were advising people in my part of town to take cover immediately. She lives in a different part of town, so she was going to go ahead and go and assured me that she could handle it without me since there probably wouldn't be very many people there anyway.
-
Don got home a few minutes later, and I was still struggling with my decision. He tried to discourage me from going too. He also turned on the TV for me, where I saw that two tractor trailers had blown over and were blocking I-40 in both directions, during rush hour, so even if I tried to go, I probably wouldn't even get there before the group was over. So I stayed home.
-
As it turned out, there was a building destroyed not far from Weight Watchers (this picture is from our local newspaper, The Tennessean). Thankfully, no one was seriously hurt.

To look at a picture like this is just a reminder to me of God's power. He destroyed a building in seconds, yet in His mercy He protected those inside. I am filled with awe as He has made both of these attributes real to me.

-

"Praise him for his acts of power; praise him for his surpassing greatness." Psalm 150:2

2 comments:

Pam said...

Wow! I'm glad you're safe!

On the tv thing...ours was like that when we married. Too many buttons. But my hubby put little stickers on the buttons I had to push to get the tv on with the remote thru the speakers and the cable and and and. Maybe your hubby could get you fixed up in a similar way! : )

Smelling Coffee said...

I'm praising God for His timing and protection of you, Jill! :-)