Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Remote Issue

I hardly ever watch TV. Of course, there are the usual reasons: I don’t have time. I don’t think there is much quality TV available. These are true, but they are not the main reason.
-
The real reason I don’t watch TV is that I don’t know how to turn it on. I have no clue which button on which of our five remotes to press to turn it on, and even if I figured that out, if I should need to adjust the volume or change the channel, forget it. This means I can only watch it if Don is there to "set it up" for me. A couple of times I tried to do this myself when he wasn’t home, and by the time I finally found the program I wanted, it was nearly over.
-
Why, you may ask, do we need five remotes? Well, we have one for the TV, one for the VCR and one for the DVD player. Don has hooked the TV up to his stereo to make the sound come out of the speakers, so we have the remote for that, and we’re up to four.
-
We don’t have cable. Why should we pay $50 a month (or whatever it costs these days) for something we would hardly ever use? We have rabbit ears, just like in the old days. Unfortunately, the old days are almost over, and rabbit ears are going to become obsolete. Now we have to have a special "digital-to-analog converter box" to even be able to get TV at all without cable. And that comes complete with, you guessed it, another remote.
-
I think this is all just more trouble than it’s worth. Oh well. I’d really rather read a good book anyway.
-
Cool Thing to Know: If you are a "rabbit ears" household, you need to get a converter box before February 2009. You can learn all about this and get up to 2 coupons for $40 off (they don’t cost much more than that) at http://www.dtv.gov/.

No comments: