Sunday, August 3, 2008

My Flute

"Praise him with tambourine and dancing, praise him with the strings and flute." Psalm 150:4

Don bought me a wonderful gift for my first birthday after we got married: a flute. Not just any flute, but a Gemeinhardt solid silver, open-hole flute with a B foot. I know this doesn’t mean a lot to a non-flute player, but it was a much nicer gift than I ever expected. As an added bonus, this gift also included six months of lessons.

I had always wanted to play the flute. In high school I played the clarinet but my heart was never in it because I wanted to play the flute. I had joined the band after everyone else and they already had too many flutes. I was never much of a musician, but I never lost my desire to be a flute player. Don, being a musician himself (a drummer), wanted to help me fulfill my dream.

I ended up taking lessons for about a year and a half, during which time I acquired adequate skills to be able to play in our worship team at church, which Don is also a part of. I very much enjoy doing this.
-
I don’t know what direction this will take in the future, but for now I am thankful for a husband who heard my heart and bought me a flute without me even asking or suspecting he would, and who encourages me when I don’t feel like I will ever be a good musician. I am also thankful for a church that allows me the opportunity to use what (meager) skills I have for the glory of God.
-
Cool Thing to Know: If you go to http://www.finalemusic.com/, you can download their free software, Notepad. It is a bit cumbersome, but allows you to write or arrange, play and print your own music.
-

No comments: