Saturday, August 16, 2008

Those Poor Atheists

The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." Psalm 14:1

I read a news article yesterday that sent me reeling. Apparently the Wilson County Fair, which is going on this week, is offering a $2 discount off their admission price on Sunday to anyone who comes with a church bulletin. Well, this has upset the atheists. HOW DARE THEY offer something to Christians and discriminate against atheists? A representative from the American Atheists sent an e-mail to the Wilson County Fair people and demanded that this promotion either be removed or that the poor dear atheists be included as well.

The board members of the fair, not wanting to cause any problems, decided that they would change their policy so that "anyone who brings a dated piece of printed material from their faith or non-belief" would be eligible for the discount. I know they were trying to stay out of trouble, but I must say I am a little disappointed in them for caving. It seems to me in this country of ours, Christians are allowed fewer privileges than anyone else, primarily because of a few outspoken, paranoid people who think Christianity discriminates against them.

I have taken a look at the fair’s web site to see what other promotions they offer. On Monday they are offering $5 off for senior citizens, age 60 and over. Now, I don’t like that at all. I think they need to change that policy right away so that anyone who can show proof that they are any age or non-age will qualify. The nerve of them! On Wednesday you get $1 off if you bring a lottery ticket stub. I don’t play the lottery. I think you should get a discount if you can show you have bought a ticket for anything, including the fair itself. I’ve also noticed that children 6-12 get in for a lower price, and children 5 and under get in free! This is absolutely outrageous! We should all get in free! And the kids get to ride the kiddie rides too, another area in which their discrimination is obviously targeted directly at me. They won’t let me ride them, just because I’m over 48 inches tall!

What’s more, I’m not qualified to enter any of the livestock shows because I don’t raise any livestock. How ridiculous! I am going to demand that I be able to enter my dog in the poultry contest (and he’d better win too), or that they just not have one at all because it’s going to offend me!

Seriously, I think it is up to the people who plan the fair to decide what promotions they are going to offer. It’s their fair. If there is someone who doesn’t like what they’re offering, then they certainly have the option to just stay home!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

GREAT POST, GREAT POST!!!

BRAVO, BRAVO!!

Smelling Coffee said...

I agree! You go, girl!