Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Southern Fried Apples

A friend from church brought in a huge load of apples on Sunday that had come from a tree in her yard and practically begged everyone to take some, so of course I had to help her out (what a martyr I am). I used them to make Southern Fried Apples.

These aren’t as bad for you as they sound. In fact, the word "fried" is kind of misleading, but that’s what they’re called. Don, being from Iowa, had never had them before he met me, and now they’re one of his favorites.

The measurements in this recipe are approximate. My mom taught me how to do this, and I have never really had a written recipe, so you can adjust the ingredients according to your taste.

Southern Fried Apples
12-14 large apples (firmer types will hold their shape better, but any kind will do)
2 Tbsp. butter (or bacon grease)
1/3 cup sugar (white or brown)
½ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. nutmeg
¼ tsp. ground cloves

Put butter or grease in large skillet (you don’t need to melt it). Peel apples; core and cut into wedges. Put in pan on top of butter and sprinkle with sugar and spices. Cover pan and cook on medium-low heat. Remove lid about every 10 minutes and stir. If skillet becomes dry before apples are soft enough, add a little water. Cook approximately 1 hour or until apples are soft and liquid is cooked out.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Yummy, I want some right now! I changed our blog to blogspot. (I like all the options much better.)