Monday, August 4, 2008

Will They Ever Shut Up?

We live in a residential neighborhood. About a half mile away (as the crow flies) is a little nightclub. I don’t know what’s going on over there, but this weekend and last weekend they have had LOUD music playing from mid-afternoon until 10:30 or 11:00 at night.

Thankfully, I have been blessed with the ability to sleep through almost anything, but my husband hasn’t. He has been sleeping on the futon in the basement, which doesn’t lend itself to a very good night’s sleep. I guess he finds it preferable to laying awake upstairs and listening to loud music though. So the next day he is usually a little tired and grouchy.

This happened occasionally last summer too, but it didn’t seem to be quite as loud and only bothered us when we tried to sleep with the windows open. Right now the windows are closed, and it is still loud enough inside our house to sing along to. Don actually called the police on them one night, to no avail. Don’t we have any rights here? I know there are a number of houses as well as an apartment complex and a hotel that are even closer to them than we are, so we can’t be the only ones who are being bothered by it. Surely there is a noise ordinance that is being violated or something. It is a small place, so I can’t imagine that there are nearly as many people there enjoying it as there are neighbors who are being bothered by it.

I tried to find a web site where I could get an e-mail address and contact them and ask them nicely to be quiet, but couldn’t find one. I guess I could actually call them, though I don’t imagine their employees would be able to hear me over the loud music when they answer the phone, not that it would probably do any good even if they did. Does anyone have any suggestions for how we can handle this??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I have any new suggestions. I am sorry though. I'm a light sleeper like Don so I feel his pain, poor fella. I'll pray it works out. Did you get to mow this morning??

Jill said...

Yes! My wonderful (even if a little tired and grouchy this weekend) husband fixed our mower, and I was able to finish the yard this morning. Thanks for offering yours! ( :

Stroup Family said...

Jill,
Thanks for your post. I will be praying for you with your desire to adopt. Children are such a blessing and gift from God. I think He searches the world to find people with loving hearts to take care of His sweet precious children. If God should touch your heart for adoption I encourage you to proceed. You will not regret it. Keep checking our blog, we are going to start a ministry to advocate adoptions. Maybe we can help you. If you ever want to chat my email is sharistroup@charter.net
Blessings - Shari