Sunday, August 24, 2008

Why?

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:7-9

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Ever since I found out about Joseph dying, I have been asking God, "Why?" Why would He give a couple a child to love beyond reason and then let him die? Why would He let a child be born, only to take him back so soon?

I doubt we’ll ever completely understand this sort of thing as long as we live on earth, but a search of Scripture does give us some glimpses of God’s ways. We see death from an earthly perspective, but God sees it in light of eternity.

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live. John 11:25

Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints. Psalm 116:15

Those of us who know Christ can take comfort in knowing that we will see our loved ones again and spend eternity with them.

Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. I Thessalonians 4:13-14

When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory." "Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?" I Corinthians 15:54-55

He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away. Revelation 21:4

I know this little boy’s life, though short, played a part in God’s plan. God brings good out of everything, and even through the pain of his loved ones, good will come. Sometimes it’s hard to see or believe it at the time, but we have to trust that He is Who He says He is and will do what He says He will do. He is good. He is faithful. He is eternal.

No comments: