Saturday, August 9, 2008

Widgets

I have always liked gadgets. I have a food processor, a bread machine, an electric knife and a crock pot (2 actually), to name a few. I guess these are a sort of "toy" for grownups. I don’t usually go for the trendy, useless ones that I will end up selling for $1 at my next garage sale, but look to invest in ones that will actually fill a need.

I have discovered a new kind of gadget: a widget. These are gadgets that can be added to a website or blog. How cool is that?? I have been wading through widget sites, trying to find some good ones to add to my blog and make it more interesting (and there are definitely some useless ones out there -- Don wanted me to add a "Wisdom from the Simpsons" one. I told him to start his own blog).

You have to be careful about what you add. For those who are wondering where "Cool Dog Facts" went, it kept reloading every couple of minutes and clicking, which was kind of annoying. It also seemed to slow down the amount of time it took for my blog to come up, and may have been the cause of the big error message I got on my computer the other day, causing it to shut down. So I got rid of that one.

I currently have a "hit counter" which shows me how many people are visiting my blog, and a Feedjit world map which shows me where they live. Some people may consider these useless, but they are interesting to me. Today I added a "word of the day" widget, for your education and mine.

So while you’re reading my blog, check out my sidebar from time to time to see if I have discovered any new and useful widgets.

No comments: