Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Hummingbirds

I have never been able to attract hummingbirds to my yard before, but this year I decided to put a feeder out since I noticed my neighbor had some coming to her feeder. Mine had been up for a month or so when one day Don spotted one out our window. In the days and weeks since, we have seen several of them buzzing around our yard nearly every day, and I have had to refill the feeder several times.
-
I have tried to get a picture of them, but they are so small, I can’t get a good one through the window. If I go outside to try to take one, they won’t come around. These pictures are just ones I got off the Internet. The ones we have are called "ruby-throated hummingbirds" because the male has a red spot on his neck. The female is a bit plainer (she needs to be more camouflaged because she has a more important job!) Their tail feathers are shaped differently as well.
-
I haven’t seen a nest, but for now I am thankful for the joy of being able to watch these tiny but fascinating little members of God’s creation coming to my feeder.

No comments: