Thursday, August 21, 2008

Fruit Flies

I’m going batty. They’re coming to take me away, Ha-Haaa! Our house is INFESTED with fruit flies. I don’t know where they’re coming from. I have checked all of our fruits and vegetables to make sure none of them are overripe, emptied the trash, and cleaned out the litter box. I can’t find a source. They are in every room, flying in my face, buzzing in my ear, getting in my food. It’s gross! I don’t know what else to do, except kill them one by one.

So, to help me maintain my sanity, I have devised a game. I score:

1 point for smashing them up against a surface (wall, window, etc.) (This is the easiest way to kill them, though it is a little messy.)
2 points if I can kill one in mid-air (This is harder; they are fast!)
3 points if I can kill two in one "pop" (A very satisfying accomplishment, I might add.)

My poor dogs jump every time I smack one. I have to be careful not to hit them too hard. If I break a window, mirror or other object, I lose all my points for the day. Thankfully this hasn’t happened yet. I actually lost count yesterday, but I’m sure I scored well over 100 points. Seriously!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a better way to get rid of them?? I NEED HELP!!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm sorry, I know they're frustrating........fun game though!!

MADDIE said...

Oh my goodness, I know how annoying those tiny little critters can be. We have had problems with them in the past. I could never figure out how to get rid of them, other than using your method, and I could never figure out where they were coming from. Hopefully, for the sake of your sanity, they will start to die out once it starts getting colder!

Melissa said...

Snazzy new background.....love it!

Smelling Coffee said...

Your game is hilarious! Do you shop at Aldi? I've found tht sometimes fruit flies are on their produce - even if it is not rotten.

You could do with them what my college biology professor did with them: he put them in jars and bred them, and spent years studying their habits. He actually had a doctorate in the reproduction of fruit flies!

Yuck!