Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Blessing of Electricity

I am blogging from the library. Why? The power has been out at our house for 4 hours.

I rushed home today because it was starting to storm and there was a tornado warning in our area. We have a finished basement that is a pretty good place to hang out during tornado warnings, so I brought the dogs down there and turned on the TV. I wanted to know what was going on with the weather. I finally got the TV on (no small task at our house), and about the time I did, "click." It went off. So did everything else.

No problem. I can just check the Internet. After all, my computer is a laptop with a battery. Well, maybe one problem. Our router is electric. OK, no Internet.

Well, at least I can call the power company and report the outage. I picked up the cordless phone. No dial tone. Oh. Guess it's powered by electricity too.

I'll have to read a book. I ran upstairs and got one and ran back down to the basement. Since it was storming outside it was kind of dark in there. I flipped the light switch. Oh. No light.

Never mind then. I'll just take a nap until Don gets home. The electric garage door will wake me up when he pulls in. Or, maybe not. I never fell asleep anyway so got to watch him sitting in the driveway trying to figure out why his garage door opener wouldn't work.

Why is it getting so hot in the house? Oh, no air conditioning. At least we can turn on the ceiling fan. No we can't. I'll make dinner then, ummm, without the stove, oven or microwave?

So we went out to eat, and when we got back, we still didn't have electricity (though I did finally think to call and report it from my cell phone).

I decided to open my garage door manually and come to the library where it's cooler and where I could use the Internet. Poor Don is at home in the hot house with the dogs. Reading a book, in the dark.

No comments: