Monday, June 29, 2009

A New Cell Phone

As I have blogged before, I am not a big cell phone user. It’s not that I’m not up on technology; it’s just not my thing. I have one, but mostly use it for emergencies only, and Don uses it on weekends to call his family because there are no long distance charges. I am on a family plan with my brother and several other family members, which we have been on for about 6 years, which is when I got this phone. I don’t need bells and whistles, just a functional phone, which this has been, until now. It won’t charge anymore. So Don and I went to the Verizon store Saturday to have them check it and possibly buy a new adapter.

The representative there tried hard to contain his laughter. They hadn’t sold adapters for that phone in years. I would need a new one. The cheapest one they had: $130.

I knew there had to be a better way and finally got the Verizon guy to admit that I could purchase a phone for cheaper somewhere else and have Verizon activate it. So we went to Best Buy.

They checked into my plan there and told me that I was eligible for an upgraded phone . . . since 2005. As it turned out, all I had to do was renew my contract for 2 years (which my brother or I would have likely done anyway), and I got this phone for free. It is so small, I’m afraid I’m going to lose it! But it has a camera (cool!) and lots of other gadgets I don’t need (the screen is even in color -- wow!). But they too were out of Kyoceras like my old one, so I really had no choice. Oh well.

No comments: