Wednesday, June 17, 2009

You Say Potato, I Say . . .

Wow! I have never grown potatoes before, so I am learning as I go. I didn't think they would be ready for a while, so I haven't bothered to check, but I read the other day that you can begin harvesting them as soon as blooms appear on the plants. Well, that happened a couple of weeks ago, so I decided to take a peek.Wow!
Of course, the longer you let them grow, up until fall, the bigger they'll get, so I'm not harvesting them all yet. But we did have a couple for dinner the other night, along with a handful of green beans that were ready.

I've been thinning my carrots. Our bunny, Heidi, is happy to help me dispose of the ones I pull up. In fact, it's one of her favorite treats.
My cucumbers are getting blooms too. All the rain we've had has made for new surprises every day!

1 comment:

Pam said...

How fun! I am so envious of our garden. I grew up with gardeners and it was normal to run outside and pull something to eat for dinner. But not so, now. I kind of miss that. There is nothing like warm tomatoes right off the vine with some salt and pepper. YUM!