Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Trip to the Smokies

Don, the dogs and I just got back from a short but very nice trip to the Great Smoky Mountains, one of my favorite places on earth. We went there on our honeymoon and have been back once since then. I had been there a number of times before I got married too. I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of it. What a wonderful place to enjoy the beauty of God’s creation!
-
We got there late Monday afternoon and mostly just "chilled" in the cabin that night, but finally got bored and went to Pigeon Forge to play a game of putt-putt.
-
On Tuesday we went to Clingman’s Dome (I’ll do a separate blog about that) and then into Gatlinburg. We decided Gatlinburg itself is really not something you need to do 3 times in 4 years. Nothing much has changed since we were last there. It’s still full of tacky souvenir shops, "haunted houses" and people trying to interest you in timeshares. There are a few fairly nice shops, such as a Celtic store that Don really likes, but he has already purchased everything that has his family's names on it. If you’re in the market for junk food, it’s a good place to go, and I did get a little bag of the saltwater taffy that I really like. They have an aquarium that is pretty nice and a couple of ski-lift-type things that will take you up to the top of the mountain where you can see for miles. Those are pretty fun, but we had done them before and chose not to do them this time.
-
This morning we checked out of our cabin and went to Cade’s Cove. I’ll do a separate blog on that too.
-
We stayed in a nice little cabin, "L’il Smoky," which was pet-friendly. It had a hot tub, jacuzzi and a front porch with a swing, which, interestingly, Dasha really liked (she doesn’t usually like anything that seems unstable to her).

If you look closely, you can see 2 canine faces peeking out.
Takin’ it easy.
If you want to know how to get to L’il Smoky, just follow Dollywood Lane and take the next left past this street.Sorry – couldn’t resist. That sign cracked me up every time we passed it!

No comments: