Friday, June 5, 2009

A Defiled Nation

I’ve been working my way through the book of Leviticus. While it’s not exactly a favorite of too many Bible-readers, it does reveal to us how far we stray from God’s holy standard, how much in need we are of Jesus as our Savior.

I found an interesting tidbit today, in light of the homosexual marriage debate that’s going on in our country:

"'Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable. . . "'Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, because this is how the nations that I am going to drive out before you became defiled. Even the land was defiled; so I punished it for its sin, and the land vomited out its inhabitants. But you must keep my decrees and my laws. The native-born and the aliens living among you must not do any of these detestable things, for all these things were done by the people who lived in the land before you, and the land became defiled. And if you defile the land, it will vomit you out as it vomited out the nations that were before you. Leviticus 18:22, 24-28

There are those who would argue that homosexual marriage doesn’t affect those of us who don’t participate in it. But it seems from this passage that God has other ideas. Such activity defiles the land, and if we defile the land, it will vomit us out.

God is slow to anger, but I believe if we continue in this lifestyle, His wrath is coming. I would urge you, my fellow Christians, to do whatever you can to help defeat these amendments that are passing that allow gay marriage in individual states. God isn’t kidding.

No comments: