Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Day in the Country

I blogged a couple of weeks ago about Don and me trying to find an old family cemetery in nearby Wilson County, Tennessee, where some of my ancestors are buried and being unsuccessful. Well, in the meantime, I did a little more research and got some more information. Yesterday I went back over there with my brother and his family, and we found it! These are the graves of my great-great grandmother and her parents. Needless to say, we had to traipse through a lot of brush (including thorny bushes) to find them.
Things are so different in the country. We went to the door of the lady whose property the cemetery was on to ask for permission to check it out. She opened to the door without suspicion. We told her what we wanted to do, and she told us to go right ahead, giving us as much information as she could. Then she sent her two preschoolers out to play in the back yard unsupervised while we were there.
-
I’ve lived my whole life in the city, and this is just a totally different mindset. Actually, it is more like the way life was when I was growing up. Nashville was a smaller town, but the world was just different then. It made me feel good that maybe it is still that way out in the country.

After we found the graves, we rode around a little more and spotted some animals. The kids (and adults) loved these baby goats and guineas.

I have been told that my great-great grandfather was a Presbyterian pastor and have been trying to find out more about that. I would love to know more about my spiritual heritage as well as my genetic one. We found this Presbyterian church near the area where he lived, which was built in 1801. I have e-mailed them to see if he was ever a pastor there.
We looked for one more cemetery that has some of our other ancestors buried in it. Apparently my great-great grandfather remarried after his wife died and is buried with his second wife. The information I had on that one was sketchy, and we were unable to find it, but all in all, I’d say it was a really fun day.

1 comment:

Pam said...

I'm glad you could find them. What an interesting day!