Saturday, March 21, 2009

Gardening Time

One of my favorite things about Spring and Summer is gardening. I have an herb garden (back right), strawberries (back left) and vegetable garden (front). I am debating about plowing up a fourth square for more vegetables. It is a LOT of work, but it would give us a lot more space. It is so exciting to be able to go out to the garden to pick dinner, and we tend to eat much healthier when it’s out there. I have a compost pile which I use for fertilizer.
It doesn’t look like much now, but I’m hoping in a few weeks, it will. I planted a few of the more cold-hardy vegetables yesterday: radishes, green onions, cabbage, lettuce and spinach. I’m starting to see some new growth in some of my perennials like my strawberries and mint (below). The mint is in a container because it would take over the garden if it wasn’t.
Last year our prize crops were strawberries and green beans. I’m planning to plant 2 kinds of green beans this year. I have some asparagus, which is a perennial that I planted last year. I’m also planting tomatoes, peppers and carrots, plus a few more if I decide to plow the other section. I have lots of herbs, including rosemary, thyme, parsley, oregano, sage, chives, and my annuals are basil, dill and cilantro. Hopefully we’ll have lots of rain this summer. My garden always does much better when we do. I’ll keep you posted (but try not to bore you) with its progress!

2 comments:

Pam said...

I love it.... wish I could come eat with you all summer long! There is nothing better on this earth than a home grown tomato! Yum-O! Keep us posted... I can live my gardening life vicariously through you. We aren't the outdoorsy type.

And I don't like bugs. lol

Smelling Coffee said...

Wow, Jill! This is impressive! You go, Martha Stewart!