Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Tale of Two Friendships

This weekend I was blessed to have visits with two "old" friends.

I moved to a new school when I was in fourth grade. I was a shy kid anyway, so the first day was especially hard. Callie came up to me and made me feel welcome, and a new friendship began. We were "best" friends for several years, but life happened; we went to different schools and eventually lost touch. It was about thirty years ago when we last saw each other and probably about twenty since we have been in touch at all.

I have thought of her often through the years and wondered what she was up to. A few months ago I decided to look her up on Facebook and found her. We corresponded via e-mail for a while and finally, last night, we met for dinner.

I was a little nervous. I didn’t know if we’d have much to talk about after all these years, but we seemed to pick right up where we left off. It turned out we still have a lot in common, but our differences were interesting as well. It was a very uplifting visit for both of us, I think, and we’re planning to do it again soon.

Susan is a friend I met in college. We have kept in touch through the years and have visited from time to time, though she is now living in Chicago. She was in town for the weekend and we were able to spend some time together. She is an excellent flute player, and we played duets of some hymns, which was a great joy for me. I sound so much better when she plays with me!

She spent the night with us and played flute with me again in church this morning. We went out to lunch (with Don) and had a nice time.

I’m so thankful God has blessed me (again) with these two friendships and with a wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Friends are very special indeed!!

Smelling Coffee said...

How fun, Jill! So glad you have been able to get together with these two friends from the past. ;-)