Monday, August 31, 2009

Aboard the General Jackson

My mom took us on a dinner cruise on the General Jackson last night to celebrate Don’s recent birthday, and mine, which is in October. She also brought her friend Peg, to celebrate her birthday, which was in July. We all had a really great time! The General Jackson is a riverboat that sails on the Cumberland River in Nashville. The cruise lasted three hours. It was a perfect night, and we were able to enjoy the breeze blowing off the water as evening set in. We had an elegant and tasty dinner which included a salad, prime rib, au gratin potatoes, asparagus, rolls and strawberry shortcake. After dinner, there was a 1-hour show that we watched from our tables. It was called “Country Music USA” and was a tribute to many of the key figures in country music from its inception until now. They displayed pictures of them on a screen and sang a hit song for each one of them. The show also included a bit of gospel music (also a big industry in Nashville) and patriotic music. It was very entertaining!
We sat at the table with a local couple who was celebrating their 51st anniversary, and another who told us that she (the wife) had donated one of her kidneys to him (the husband) one year ago. They were both doing well.

I think this cruise is a great way to celebrate a special event or, if you’re visiting Nashville, a way to get a good taste of the city. You get to see downtown, the Titans’ stadium and enjoy some good music as well. They offer different types of cruises at various prices, and if you’re lucky, you may be able to find a discount coupon. This was the first time Don and I had done this, but I would definitely do it again if I had the opportunity.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Happy birthday to you both! Looks like a lot of fun. But since my hubs get motion sick really easily, I just get a frown in return when I mention doing something like this. lol So I'm glad YOU had fun. Thanks for sharing some of your pics. : )

Smelling Coffee said...

So glad you had a good time. We did that several years ago. I missed the Chineses acrobats - that was the show I really wanted to see.

Love you...jen