Saturday, August 22, 2009

Garage Sale

I had a garage sale today. It was my third one in four years. I kind of like to have them, though they are a lot of work. I didn't do as well as I had hoped, but not too terribly either. I sold a lot of small things but not many big ones.

After all my years of having garage sales, I have come to the conclusion that the majority of people who come fall into one of four categories:

1) The early birds - these people try to get there first to get the good stuff, which they will often turn around and try to sell for a better price on e-bay or at a flea market. They are professionals. If you advertise in advance, they will be knocking on your door an hour early or even the night before the sale begins.

2) The hagglers - I can see them coming. They have a certain look about them. They will try to talk you down on every single price, no matter how low it already is. It's best to decide in advance what you're willing to come down on so you won't be caught off guard. I don't usually come down on prices until the last couple of hours of my sale, because there is a pretty good chance someone will come after them and pay me full price.

3) The specific shoppers - These people will come and peek in or maybe ask you if you have a specific item (i.e. a baby stroller). If you don't, they will thank you and turn around and leave. If you do, boy are they excited!

4) The curious neighbors - They see that something is going on at your house, and they don't want to miss out on the excitement. They rarely buy anything substantial; if they do, they have to go back home to get the money for it because they hadn't planned on it.

There are a few just normal people. They may or may not buy anything. They just like garage sales.

Don't let these scare you off from having one. Just be prepared. I don't put signs up until I'm ready to open shop, but then I live in a prime location, so that is all the advertising I really need. Be ready to stand up the hagglers. Don't be offended by people who don't buy anything. And enjoy the chance to get to know your neighbors better.

1 comment:

Pam said...

We've had several sales through the years and it IS pretty interesting to watch folks. It does take a bit of time to get the pricing down (considering the haggling etc), but it's so worth it to make a little cash and walk through a newly decluttered house 'again'. : )