Friday, August 14, 2009

Julia's Hope

This book, by Leisha Kelly, is the first in a series I have been reading recently. I found one of them at random on the shelf in the library and really enjoyed it, so I am working my way through the series, completely out of order.
-
Set in a small town in Illinois during the Great Depression, this book is about a family who is living in much harder times than I have ever known, doing what they must do to survive. They are Christians who have little more than the clothes on their back and must rely on God to provide for them each day. It was a time when friends and neighbors helped each other out, even in their own poverty, and ingenuity is vital. The characters are portrayed so realistically that I wondered if they author was writing from personal experience, but I did a little research and found out it is indeed fiction.
-
I would recommend this book and the others in the series for anyone who likes historical fiction or Christian fiction. It has made me appreciate the things I have but also realize the importance of some values that have all but been forgotten in our society today.

No comments: