Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Southern Black-Eyed Peas

Here's a recipe for a garden treat that seems to be exclusive to the South, at least my husband Don, from Iowa, had never had them before. Measurements are approximate -- I don't measure; I just use what I have.

1 cup shelled fresh black-eyed peas (or cowpeas, or something similar)
1/2 vidalia onion, chopped
1 slice bacon or a few small pieces country ham

Put all ingredients into pot and cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until peas are soft.

It's traditional to eat these for "good luck" on New Year's Day, but I prefer them in the summertime, fresh from the garden.

1 comment:

Pam said...

YUM! I love black eyed peas! I can't believe he's not familiar with them. And hit it with a little hot sauce or pepper sauce and deee-lish!