Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Back to CBS

A story is told about the man caught in a flood.

As the waters rise, a boat comes along and offers the man a ride to safety.

“No thanks,” the man says, proud of his level of faith in God, “I believe God will save me.”

“Suit yourself,” the man in the boat shrugs, as he drives off to help other people, and the waters continue to rise, forcing the man to the second floor of his home. However, as he waits for the hand of God to personally save him, another boat comes along and tells him to get in while he can, because the flood waters are showing no signs of receding.

“No thanks,” the man again says proudly, emboldened by the unique opportunity to prove his faith in God. “I believe God will save me.”

“Suit yourself,” the man in the second boat says, shaking his head, as he veers off to help other stranded homeowners. In the meantime, the rising flood waters force the man to his roof, where he is finally spotted by a rescue helicopter.

“Grab the rope and climb aboard,” the man in the helicopter yells to him above the din of the rotating blades.

“No thanks!” the man on the roof yells back, still certain that a miracle will happen to save him from drowning. Therefore, unable to convince the man to climb into the helicopter, the rescue team goes off in search of others willing to be rescued.

Sure enough, the water rises to the roof, and then above the man’s head, and he drowns.


Shortly after, he finds himself in Heaven, waiting to be brought before the Heavenly Court. After some time and a lot of angry pacing back-and-forth by the drowned man, an angel comes out to call him in to the inner chamber. However, before the Chief Magistrate can say a word, the man bursts out and cries, “Where were you?! I invested all of my faith in you, that you would save my life as you always promised you would if I had faith, and you go ahead and let me drown! What kind of reward for faith was that?”

For a long moment, there is silence in the courtroom, as if the man has made a valid point. Until, that is, the Chief Magistrate leans forward and says calmly, but firmly,

“What do you mean? Who do you think sent you the two boats and the helicopter?!”


Just a story and certainly not Biblical, but there is truth to it.

I was reminded of this story last week. Community Bible Study was about to begin again, and I didn’t know whether to go back or not because I still didn’t have the part-time job I have been looking for, and didn’t want to start and then have to quit if I did find a job. But I really wanted to go back.

A lady from CBS called me and asked me if I would like to be a paid childcare worker for the children of the leaders while they met before and after the regular meeting, a total of 4 hours per week. I could attend CBS in between shifts. At first I told her I didn’t think it would work; I needed to find a job, but she told me to pray about it and call her if I changed my mind.

So I did. And God brought this story to mind. Maybe I was overlooking the obvious. This was a job, though not what I expected. And it would allow me to attend CBS and make a little money, two answered prayers. I would still likely need to work more hours, but it would definitely help in the meantime.

So I called her back and told her I’d do it. And I started today. It was hard work, but it was SO good to be back. I am thankful that God opened this door for me and let me recognize it, in spite of my hardheadedness, before it was too late.

3 comments:

God's Girl Pearl said...

Hey Jill,
God is so good! I am so happy that it all worked out for you. I wanted to go back too, but couldn't work it out this fall. Might go back after Christmas or next year. My good friend Angie will be there this year. She is very excited. You will have to look her up.

Pam said...

I"m glad this opened a door for you and you're getting the benefit of some extra $$ and Bible study time for yourself too. : )

Smelling Coffee said...

Jill~ I'm so glad the Lord worked all of this out for you! A job and CBS all in one day! I'm still praying for a job for you for some of the other available days of the week...

PS: I know you're a huge answer to prayer to the ladies and children, too!